Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Bible Verse Sunday #22, Prospective Reviews, and My Reading System

Today's verse is Matthew 5:48, taken from ESVBible.org:

"You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

The ESV Study Bible has this to say on the verse: 

"5:48 be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect. Scripture is a reflection of God himself as he has made his will and character known to his people. As Christians seek to live in conformity to Scripture, they are in fact pursuing the very perfection of God. This verse provides the conclusion and summary to the antithesis section (vv. 21-48), showing that all of the Law and the Prophets find their perfect (Gk. telios) fulfillment in the perfection of the Father, which is what all Jesus' disciples are called to pursue."

In a rather peculiar turn of events, I went only to the 11:00 service at church today, by myself as it happened, as my dad was on parking lot patrol during that time, and my mother was out on a bike ride. She wasn't there to wake us up early so we could make it to the 9:30 service. Anyhow, the pastor continued in the second installment of his series on the book of Hosea. He told of how Hosea's tumultuous family life reflected both the Israelites' and our relationship with God, who sets boundaries in order to protect the relationship. Because I came to the 11:00 service, I wasn't able to attend the High School service, so I do not know what the sermon there was about. If any of you would like to fill me in, please do.

After church, I went home and worked on my sermon. You see, I'm doing a sermon for a Missionary Training Area (MTA) for Bible Quiz Team. I'm almost done with it, and have to be finished by this weekend. In the afternoon, I went to the Fairwood Library for homework help once again, where I received invaluable help on my homework. I managed to finish up my backlog homework from a couple of weeks ago. I also checked out a couple of Batman trades, but more on that later. 

After I got home, I ate dinner with the fam, and did some exercising. My New Year's resolution was to try to exercise every day. I've missed a lot of days, but I hope to get into the habit of exercising every day that I don't have taekwondo. I also helped pick out pictures for our Bible Quiz Team name tags. Azrael was out, and so were Lewa Nuva and Batman, so I eventually had to settle for Spider-Man. Not a bad choice, as far as name tag pictures go.

While I was at the library, I checked out Batman: The Court of Owls and Batman: The Black Mirror. I intend to read and review both. I will also be reviewing the documentary Superheroes. It will be the first documentary I've ever reviewed, and on a subject in which I have immense interest.

Now, at long last, I shall reveal to the world my reading system. I read five books at a time; a book from my priority list, a book from my main list, a graphic novel/trade paperback, a book from my own shelf, and a Star Wars book. I'll be talking about Star Wars in a future post, as it is integral to my development and inspiration as a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment