Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A New Beginning on Food Stars! (Update: April Fools 2014)

Readers, I am here to announce a major change to the blog. Instead of blogging about pop culture and movies and comics and what-not in a half-serious manner, I will now be devoting all of my blog posts to culinary pursuits. It is with this new way of doing things that I will rename this blog to Food Stars. Bible Verse Sunday will be replaced with Supreme Chef Sunday, and reviews will be based on dishes at restaurants in the surrounding area.

If this is all a bit too much to take in, I'll get into it slowly. In the meantime, please, enjoy the following recipe for Savory Squirrel Bakes from Brian Jacques' Redwall cookbook!

You will need:

1 pound of potatoes, boiled and mashed

2 cups (4 ounces) grated hard cheese, such as Cheddar

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

1 tablespoon chopped chives or scallions

1 to 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, as needed

1 egg, beaten

1 cup breadcrumbs

Method:

1.)    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a bowl, beat the potatoes with the cheese, butter, chives, salt and pepper until smooth. If the dough is too loose to handle, stir in enough flour, up to 2 tablespoons, to make a firm dough.
2.)    Turn the dough onto a floured board and form it into a 2-inch-thick log. Cut the dough into 1 inch slices and shape the slices into balls.
3.)    Set up a bowl with the egg in it and a bowl with the bread crumbs. Coat each ball of dough in egg, then breadcrumbs, then place it on a baking sheet. Bake until browned, about 20 minutes (alternately, fry the cakes over medium heat in about ¼ inch vegetable oil until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes).

I hope that you all enjoy it! It is merely the first in what I hope will be a honored tradition of sharing recipes on Food Stars!

P.S.: April Fools! I am happy to announce that this blog will not be turned into a cooking blog, and that I will continue to update on comics, books, movies, and other topics. I hope you all enjoyed my little prank. And please, me writing a cooking blog? It would get pretty old after a while, with me taking pictures of my omelets and bowls of soggy cereal.

2 comments:

  1. Happy April fools!:) I served up Brown-e's today as a treat for my sister's April 1'st birthday. Would you like the recipe?

    Here it is:

    - 1 large baking pan
    - 1 large foil piece to cover brown e's
    - as many large brown letter "E" that you can cut out

    Directions:
    Cut out brown E's and place in backing pan, covered with foil. Tell victims that you tried a new brown-e recipe.

    HA! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How amusing! I might just try that next year!

      Delete