Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Bible Verse Sunday #68, Legacy Spring Formal 2014, and Snohomish Invitational 2014

Today on Bible Verse Sunday, we will be discussing 1 Corinthians 1:20:

"Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?"

In this verse, Paul is beginning a section devoted to deconstructing the secular materialist worldview. His basic argument is that God's knowledge and wisdom automatically trumps any points set forth by secular philosophers, and that earthly wisdom is not nearly as reliable as heavenly wisdom. This verse also indicates that Paul was confident that any doubts and objections to the Christian faith are more than answerable. To Paul, all such doubts and objections are soundly refutable.

In church today, in the main service, our senior pastor celebrated 25 years of service at our church, taking what I presumed was a break from series in Romans (though I may be proved wrong next week) to give a more general message. That message, to sum it up, is that in order to be a true follower of Christ, we must be convinced, as the apostles were, that Jesus is God; be committed to Jesus' authority; and abide in Jesus' presence. He also said that there is no stopping what Jesus can do. In the High School service, the youth pastor continued in his study of the parables of Jesus, focusing on the parable of the Good Samaritan. He said that this parable should be applied to all believers, who should live out God's word in their lives daily, reaching out to the unsaved at every opportunity.

The Legacy Spring Formal was a momentous occasion, to say the least. There were more than sixty people there, and we all had a wonderful time. There was good food, good conversation, and some really sharp dressed gals and fellows. I wore my best (and only) suit with a red tie, to match my sister's red dress. There was a group picture, followed by a meal of breaded chicken, rigatoni noodles, Caesar salad, and some other stuff. There was a soda bar, which I visited a once or thrice for some root beer, and after the dinner, the attendees were entertained by an illusionist. A truly spectacular show, if I do say so myself. The evening was concluded by a lovely dessert of cheesecake, after which we socialized until leaving. A truly fine night, if I do say so myself. I'll admit to enjoying myself on this occasion far more than I did at last year's formal.

However, there was one drawback to the formal. Due to an unfortunate scheduling oversight, the formal also took place on the same night as the front half of the Snohomish Bible Quiz Team Invitational for this year. Therefore, I and my sister, and fellow quizzer Lizzie, were unable to quiz the first night. This meant going to our church the next morning at to take the long bus ride to Snohomish. There, we made it just in time for quizzing, and I believe that we acquitted ourselves well. I think that we won four or five out of seven or eight quizzes. Several of our quizzers, including Kellyn, Lizzy, and yours truly, made All Stars, and we all had a good time. We spent the bus ride home playing a game called Mafia, and when it was my turn to be the narrator, I selected Batman as the theme. That meant that "The Mafia" was the Joker, the angel was Batman, and the detective/sheriff was Commissioner Gordon. Ironically enough, nearly all of the other players were actually Gotham City mafia members in the game (e.g., Ava was Carmine "the Roman" Falcone, Rebecca was Rupert Thorne, Ashley was Salvatore "Sal the the Boss" Maroni, etc.)! I enjoyed it immensely, though the others were a bit annoyed by me using the in-game names in place of real names and for burdening the others with Batman lore. But it did get me thinking... I could gamemaster a superhero crime RPG! That would be cool...

No comments:

Post a Comment