Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Review: Do Hard Things

Do Hard Things, written by Alex and Brett Harris, is a book on how millions of young people are missing out on their potential. In this book, the Harris brothers tell of "the Rebelution," a movement to rebel against low expectations and for young people to make the most of their formative years.

First off, this book, originally published in 2008, is loaded with anecdotes and stories about young people everywhere who went beyond expectations to make something of themselves. We're talking teenagers who have started non-profits, others who went on their own paths for the Rebelution, and several tales from the lives of the Harris brothers. I wholeheartedly commend this book as having a positive, Christian worldview which gives out a plethora of good advice on how to exceed low expectations. The narration is easy to understand and highly readable, with twelve awesome chapters of instruction on not just how to do hard things, but why to do hard things.

This book made me reconsider how I'm doing in my life. Am I living up to my full potential? I already do well in school, and I'm on the Bible Quiz Team and in Taekwondo. I've been thinking of doing a little more during the summer, when I have a lot of time on my hands. I'd like to start volunteering at the Salvation Army food bank. I've been considering this before I read Do Hard Things, but now I'm sure more than ever that I want to do it.

I recommend this book for all teenagers, even if you're not a Christian. This book speaks to all teenagers regardless of creed, but the Christian worldview is nonetheless pervasive, the foundation of the book's message. There's even an appendix devoted to explaining the Harris brother's Christian worldview. I know not everyone will agree with that, but I hope that everyone who reads this book will come away with a desire to rebel against low expectations and to do hard things.

RATING: 10/10

Image courtesy of vialogue.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment