Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 14, 2013

St. Valentine's Day

St. Valentine's Day is celebrated annually on February 14th. On this day, people celebrate romantic love. There are several legends about the historical events surrounding the establishment of Valentine's Day, but the most pervasive one is about Valentine of Rome. Valentine was put in prison by the Roman Empire for performing clandestine Christian marriage ceremonies for soldiers, who had been forbidden to marry by the Emperor. He was eventually executed, but not before allegedly healing the sight of his jailer's daughter. He also apparently left a note for the jailer's daughter, which ended with "from your Valentine." The Eastern Orthodox Church celebrates two different St. Valentines in July.

Today on St. Valentine's Day, I wore a tie for spirit day at my co-op, where we had to wear a tie today. I wore my favorite tie, a nice skinny black one. After getting home, I was persuaded by my family not to go to taekwondo tonight, but to stay home for the holiday. As much as I would have liked to go, I elected to stay home and do some exercises. My dad got me a big chocolate bar for Valentine's Day, which I thought was nice, and we cleaned the kitchen for my mom. We had a nice dinner.

1 comment:

  1. It was a fantastic dinner and wonderful to have us all at home. Thank you for skipping tkd. I love you son.

    ReplyDelete