Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Bible Verse Sunday #25, Mother's Day, and Life Updates

Today's verse has to do with mothers (sort of), which is fitting, as it is Mother's Day today. Today we look 1 Thessalonians 2:7:

"But we were gentle among you, like a nursing mother taking care of her own children."

The ESV Study Bible has this to say on the verse:

"gentle (Gk. nepios). Paul is highlighting the fact that he and his fellow missionaries did not exploit their rights and privileges but acted in an unassuming manner towards the converts. like a nursing mother. Paul and his fellow missionaries were without guile, loving, and selfless in their devotion to the converts."

Today at church, the pastor continued in the service in his series on Hosea, linking the theme of Mother's Day to Gomer's likely parenting style, and to the four basic styles of parenting, each having to do with affection and control, and the amounts of each. In the High School service, the youth pastor also continued from a previous theme, examining the topic of divorce, and how God views it and has arranged for it to work with marriage. In conjunction with his sermon, he brought a handful of students onto the stage to speak about the topic.

Today, as you know, is Mother's Day, and I heartily say that I have a wonderful mother. She does all sorts of things around the house and out of the house, and I don't know what I would do without her. She drives me to school, she secures my food and continued shelter, and many other things. From the bottom of my heart, I also salute all of you hard working mothers out there. For Mother's Day today, we had several family members over, and some friends. We ate our fill of food, mostly lamb, and talked a lot. It was a good occasion.

In other news, I took on a new job yesterday, as a Lawn Maintenance Professional at this apartment complex just a few blocks away from my house. It appears to be a fruitful means of employment, and I am getting along well with my new boss. I am learning how to use a riding lawn mower, which is proving to be a bit daring for me. Imagine I, plowing along on a slight slope. I used the regular push mower for that part, which proves me not so daring after all. But I am told that I will learn with time.

I am also happy to report the early success of corn seed that I have planted, which is growing finely. It's about five or six inches tall now! I hope to enjoy the fruits- err, that is, vegetables of my labors soon. If anyone knows when exactly that would be (I planted the seeds sometime last month), leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment