Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Bible Verse Sunday #30 & Father's Day

Today's verse is 2 Samuel 22:33:

"This God is my strong refuge and has made my way blameless."

The ESV Study Bible has this to say on the subject:

"22:32-33 This also (cf. note on v. 28) is similar to 1 Sam. 2:2 (in Hannah's son), extolling the Lord as a rock and the one and only God. It also reflects back to the beginning of David's song (2 Sam. 22:2-3), calling God a refuge. The first part of teh song (vv. 2-31) has described the fight in terms of the actions of the Lord; this next section (vv. 32-49) covers the fight with enemies in terms of what David did, thanks to the Lord, who equipped him for battle (v. 40)."

Today at church in the main service, the pastor there talked about the importance of a loving, leading father, and how God is like a father to Christians, and what kind of father he is. In the High School service, the Youth Pastor talked more about Paul's second missionary journey, and how we're going to be undertaking a study in the books of 1 and 2 Thessalonians. It will be interesting to see another perspective on my quiz material, that is, the perspective of my youth pastor. 

And now, Father's Day. Originally an obscure holiday invented in 1910 to balance out Mother's Day, Father's Day, after a long, arduous battle, was finally made official by President Richard Nixon in 1972. Traditionally celebrated on the third Sunday of June, Father's Day is a day for honoring fathers, and in recent years has been used as an occasion for buying fathers with more masculine gifts, such as power tools and other things of that nature. It or similar versions of it are widely celebrated throughout the world, from Austria to Venezuela. 

For Father's Day this year, my family and I went to my Aunt Amy's house with some other family members and ate a lot of food. Other attendees included my grandparents, and my Aunt Patty and Uncle Bill. We took some food back from the place, and picked up some corn growths from this local market to replace the corn that I planted that wouldn't grow after being transplanted. Hopefully, the new corn will grow much better. I would like to extend a heartfelt salutation and general feeling of well wishing to all of you fathers out there. Happy Father's Day, one and all! Also, my Uncle Bill gave me a box full of books to add to my shelf. With any luck, I'll be able to get through all of them sooner or later. They all look very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment