Total Pageviews

Friday, July 5, 2013

(Belated) Independence Day

Independence Day, popularly known as the Fourth of July, was yesterday. It marked the 237th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The signing of this document signaled the breaking away from Britain, though the original vote to break away from that empire was on July 2nd, two days earlier. The signers of the Declaration of Independence were not all present to sign that document at once. They came in and out intermittently to sign it, whenever they happened to be in town. John Adams wrote in a letter to his wife Abigail that the vote to break away from Britain should "be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more." These days, nearly everything that good old John Adams specified is now held, and more. Things like fireworks, barbecues, baseball games, music, parades, and general celebratory pandemonium are held in honor of the Fourth of July.

For Fourth of July yesterday, some of my parent's friends, my Aunt Naomi, and my good buddy Nathan gathered together at our house to gorge on piles of food. I was slightly bemused by the lack of hamburgers and hotdogs in this year's Fourth of July menu, but I could deal with salmon and potato salad. Besides, mom made hamburgers for those who wanted them (I was too full from the rest of the stuff to have a hamburger). There was also fruit salad, regular salad, and pies. These pies included apple pie, rhubarb and strawberry pie, and marionberry pie.

At about 7:45, I, my sisters, Nathan, and Sarah (Rebekah's friend) all went to the pool to swim. You see, it was float night at the pool, meaning we could bring flotation devices that were normally banned. We had a fun time, swimming, joking around, and laughing. Dear old Nate brought along his ukelele to play, and I and him made an excellent musical duo. As I belted out the lyrics to "The Saga Begins," he played on his ukelele. Nate is something of a musician, having taught himself how to play several pieces on the piano. He also has knowledge of how to play the guitar. He's a great guy.

Finally, we came home, ate some more, and then shot off fireworks. We got our fireworks from this stand in the neighborhood, and though we had a few good ones, must of them weren't exactly awesomeness personified. Still, our neighbors had some good ones, and there was a real good show going on. After we had finished shooting off fireworks, I went to bed because I was really tired. All in all, I had a great Fourth of July. Normally, we go down to this cabin up at Lake Rosiger, owned by my-other-friend-who-is-also-called-Nate's family. My friends Caleb and Nolan (not Caleb the GM, you understand) and their family also come. But this year was not a usual year. I don't know the details, but this year we just didn't go to the cabin. But oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment