Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Vacation 2013 Lowdown

I looked up the term "lowdown" before I started writing this post. According to merriam-webster.com, it means, "the inside facts." So, I'll give you, my loyal and classy readers, the lowdown on this year's vacation (Also, I'm writing this post so as to meet my three-post-per-week minimum).

We spent most of our time sitting around watching TV, or in my case, working and/or playing on the computer. Since we don't have a TV back home, I was happy to watch Wheel of Fortune in the evenings, though I missed one night. There was also the pool, which I went to once or thrice. We played a rousing game of Marco Polo this one time. It wasn't a huge pool, just your standard hotel pool, with the hot tub and all. Then there was the beach. I'm afraid to say that it was not a terribly good beach, being incredibly swampy at low tide and made out of rocks at high tide. Not very good for walking on.

I also spent a lot of time reading this book that I've had in reserve for a while, The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Mafia, Second Edition. It's an altogether very interesting read so far, though I'm getting some conflicting information between it and good old Wikipedia. Of course, this may be because of two reasons: One, Wikipedia is not always reliable, and Two, this book was published back in 2004, almost ten years ago. But on the whole, there's a lot of good information on the history of the Mafia, and other things having to do with it.

So, if what we did by and large was watch TV, what did we watch? The others watched Pawn Stars and the Food Network, though my mom also went running and cycling, not mention cooking the meals and stuff. To our credit, we also went down to this little coffee shop and got coffee and muffins, and puttered about on scooters that we had brought. In addition, I worked on memorizing quiz verses for the Bible Quiz Team, and did situps. I'm working my way up to 300 a day, adding 25 every week. This week I've been doing 200 a day. Pretty good, huh? I'll have washboard abs in no time. I also caught the back half of what I presume is the first episode of the new Batman cartoon show Beware the Batman. It was okay, but I haven't seen the original Batman: The Animated Series or The Batman, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I guess this would also require watching Justice League and Justice League Unlimited as well, which, happily for me, are both on instant on Netflix.

Anyhow, that's about all we did on vacation, until today, the last day at the hotel. We drove around, looking for something to do other than sit around watching TV. Then, we stumbled upon this place which had go carts and mini golf. Dad and I played mini golf while Rebekah and Naomi went on the go carts. Mom filmed them and cheered them on. The others later came down to watch dad and I play mini golf. This one whole took me 34 strokes to get the ball down the hole. But we eventually got through it. Unfortunately, we had delegated scoring after hole 15 to my sister Naomi, who I don't think kept a reliable record of the proceedings. The closest thing to my 34 was a 29 or 24 or something. I couldn't tell. Then again, I guess most golfers would love to have a caddie who can't keep score. Except Naomi wasn't a caddie. Oh well. Whatever. Also, this place had this weird train ride thing (we didn't go on it). After that, it was on to this local strip mall thing, where we got some groceries. Eventually, we came back to the hotel where we, you guessed it, watched TV or played on the computer. Well, we played a little bit with a Frisbee and then went out for chowder and fish and chips, but that was about it.

In sum, our vacation was pretty low-key. But I always preferred the "staycation" anyway. Oh well. We head back home tomorrow, so expect either a belated Bible Verse Sunday or a somewhat late one.

No comments:

Post a Comment