Total Pageviews

Friday, September 6, 2013

(Belated) First Day of School 2013

Yesterday marked our return to school for this year, being the first day of the new school year. It was on a cloudy, rainy day that we returned to the Legacy Homeschool Center, where I went to my classes. Most of them were mainly orientation and introduction.

First up was High School Chemistry, where we cut and pasted some syllabus sheets into our research notebooks, learned the importance of keeping properly marked up notes, watched a video on lab safety, and conducted an experiment involving a yardstick, tape, string, and two balloons. Our curriculum is Dr. Jay L. Wile's Exploring Creation with Chemistry, 2nd Edition. I have a feeling that we, or I, may have done the experiment incorrectly, as when I went back and read the experiment directions in the textbook, I saw that it was very different from what we did in class. I got a different result than from everybody else to, but the teacher said that it was okay if I wrote that down.

The second class was Creative Writing for Publication. This, I believe, is the most fun class I've had in a while. We'll be doing one of my favorite activities for homework- writing! We'll also be doing reading, and developing analytical skills. I'm sure it will be a lot of fun. In that class today, we discussed movies or books we had read over the summer as a pre-school year assignment. I used review notes from this very blog for the assignment, reading from my notes on The Old Man and the Sea film adaptation from the fifties. I also brought my notes on The Third Man and Sherlock Holmes. It was pretty fun, and I have high hopes for this class.

My third class was High School Spanish. I knew the teacher from a previous Spanish class I had taken, but my hold on the language was rusty, to say the least. Fortunately, what with improved study habits and all, I feel prepared to take another crack at this subject. I hope to become a skilled conversationalist in this language.

Coming in the number four position, right after lunch, was U.S. History. Unfortunately, the class was cancelled as the teacher had a funeral to attend. An unexpected free hour, and I didn't even have a book to read. I was able to get some reading done in my science though. I have high hopes for this class as well, as my 20th Century History class from about three years ago was taught by none other than Kirby Wilbur, and he was slated to be the teacher of this class. Unfortunately, he was unable to teach it due to getting a new job over in Washington, D.C. So somebody else is going to teach it, though I hesitate to divulge that person's identity. At any rate, I'm sure that this class will be enjoyable.

My final class was Personal Finance. For that class, we watched part of a video series that was part of the curriculum written by this financial expert guy. We also had an object lesson involving candy, which represented where you were in the American financial demographic. I got the Pay Day candy bar, which represented the well established, financially well off millionaires and billionaires. Lucky me, huh?

All in all, I feel like this will be a very good school year, just as 2013 has been a very good year so far. I have good classes, I have a good grip on all of them so far, and I actually enjoy most of them. My teachers are also all great. I believe that I will one day look back and say, in the immortal words of Frank Sinatra, "It was a very good year."

No comments:

Post a Comment