Total Pageviews

Monday, September 9, 2013

(Belated) Bible Verse Sunday #40

Yesterday's verse was Deuteronomy 6:4:

"“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one."

The ESV Study Bible has this to say on the verse: 

"Hear, O Israel. This verse is called the Shema from the Hebrew word for "Hear." The Lord our God, the Lord is one (see ESV footnote). The Lord alone is Israel's God, "the only one." It is a statement of exclusivity, not of the internal unity of God. this point arises from the argument of ch. 4 and the first commandment. While Deuteronomy does not argue theoretically for monotheism, it requires Israel to observe a practical monotheism (cf. 4:35). This stands in sharp contrast to the polytheistic Canaanites."

Yesterday in church I took actual notes during the services so as to better relay their content in this post. In the main service, the pastor spoke about the city of Colosse, who Epaphras was, what the religious climate of the city was, and how Jesus loves rookie leaders such as Epaphras. In the High School service, the youth pastor mostly spoke about how we can help in the church, and talked about several groups we could help out in, such as the set up/break down group, the prayer group, and new, single-gender small groups called Disciple Groups or something. There were several others that he talked about, but he mostly talked about how we can use our spiritual gifts for the betterment of the church. I believe that in the coming weeks we will be studying the Old Testament, though I could be mistaken.

Yesterday, I went for my third real run with my dear mother, running a little over two miles. It was very grueling for me, as I was unused to that sort of exercise. The following evening, we went to an aerobic kickboxing class at my taekwondo school. It was pretty fun, but my joints are still aching from the experience. Nevertheless, I hope to get really buff from all of this extra exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment