Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Bible Verse Sunday #46 & First Bible Quiz Invitational 2013-2014

Today's verse Jeremiah 20:11:

"But the Lord is with me as a dread warrior; therefore my persecutors will stumble; they will not overcome me. They will be greatly shamed, for they will not succeed. Their eternal dishonor will never be forgotten."

The ESV Study Bible has this to say about the verse:

"the Lord is with me. See note on 30:11. dread warrior. God fights for his people (Ex 15:1-18). not overcome me. See Jer. 1:17-19; 15:19-21."

In the main service at church today, the pastor gave a sermon about how certain religious rules are mere shadows of what Jesus is really all about. Therefore, he preached, we shouldn't be quick to judge others, "knowing that Christ is more than the mere appearance of wisdom." In the High School service, the youth pastor talked about how David became king of Israel. He somehow tied this into a metaphor involving the "bare essentials" of something, but I don't remember exactly how it worked.

My Aunt Naomi came over for dinner tonight, and we ate salmon, rice, and some kind of baked cabbage. Had a large cookie for dessert. Good meal. 

Addendum: When this post was originally written, I forgot to include a write up of the first Bible Quiz Team Invitational of this quizzing year. It took place over the course of a morning and an early afternoon last Saturday, at Alderwood Community Church. Our team was divided into two teams of three and one team of two. My team, composed of myself and two novices ("rookies" to borrow the terminology I used with them), did not win many quizzes, but we scored a lot of points. I made All Stars, as did many of my fellow quizzers, including Kellyn, Lizzey, my sister Rebekah, and many others. We all did very well, and engaged in good fellowship. For lunch, pasta and salad were served, though on the way home, as per tradition, we stopped by Dairy Queen to grab a bite to eat. While most of the others ordered ice cream, I decided to cut back on the sweets and order the heart healthy meal of a a Bacon Cheese Grillburger. Yum! All in all, it was a good invitational, and I heartily look forward to the next one.

1 comment:

  1. My dear son...You had Salmon PIccata, roasted vegetables and rice. It was all so very yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete