Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

(Very Belated) Bible Verse Sunday #51

Woof... I've been so, so, busy lately, as my minimal output of posts can attest to. I was considering taking the week off from blogging for Thanksgiving, but that would mean no blog posts about Thanksgiving and Black Friday. They'd both be terribly belated. But anyhow, let's try getting to the basics.

Today's verse is 1 John 4:11:

"Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another."

The ESV Study Bible has this to say about the verse:

"Here and in v. 7 John uses a strong term of endearment, beloved (gk. agapetoi), evidence that he himself has been mastered by the love he calls for. He uses the same word also at 2:7; 3:2, 21; 4:1. See also note on 2:1, 'my little children.'"

In church two days ago, the pastor in the main service talked about how to be "a high impact servant for Jesus," drawing analogies from Russel Wilson of the Seahawks. He highlighted the people mentioned by Paul in the closing section of Colossians. This particular book, if I recall correctly, was the book we memorized (along with a small part of 1 Timothy) during my first year of Bible Quiz Team. Anyhow, in the High School service, we were given a lecture by a guest speaker, Ethan the former intern, who was subbing for Pastor Wes (Pastor Wes was in Nashville for a mission trip). This fellow gave a great sermon in part concerning the widespread misapplication of Romans 8:28 ("And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." Verse courtesy biblehub.com). What with the busyness of the last two days and all, I can't quite place what the correct application of it was, but I'm sure I'd remember it if I had taken notes. Thusly, I will be sure to take notes at all future sermons.

Looking forward, I see that Thanksgiving will soon be upon us, and with it, the start of the Christmas season on Black Friday. I look forward to Thanksgiving eagerly, and the accompanying blog post. There will be food, family, friends, food, fellowship, and, you guessed it, more food. But let's not get ahead of ourselves...

No comments:

Post a Comment