Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Bible Verse Sunday #54, LMA Christmas Party, and Christmas Shopping

Today's verse is 1 Samuel 10:6:

"Then the Spirit of the Lord will rush upon you, and you will prophesy with them and be turned into another man."

The ESV Study Bible has this to say about the verse:

"In 1-2 Samuel, the phrase "the Spirit of the Lord" appears only in connection with his anointed ones, i.e., Saul and David (1 Sam. 16:13-14; 2 Sam 23:2). Th eexpression The Spirit of the Lord will rush upon (someone) appears only in Judges and 1 Samuel, ending with David (Judg. 14:6, 19: 15:14; 1 Sam. 10:10; 11:6, 16:13). It always speaks of god's Spirit coming suddenly on someone to equip and empower that person to serve the interests of God's people. The onrush of the spirit of the Lord upon Saul is predicted, but not nanipulated as in Canaanite practices; it is necessary in order to dispel any doubts Saul might have about his choice and as a public demonstration that he is now the "prince" (10:1). It is related to his election as king, and does not mean that he is becoming a prophet (cf. v. 11). be turned into another man. Not by losing self but rather by being equipped with power to play a new role (see Judg. 6:34; 11:29). Cf. "another heart" (1 Sam. 10:9)."

EDIT: Forgot to recap the sermons! In the main service, Pastor Nick continued in the series on Isaiah, looking over Jesus' titles as detailed in Isaiah 9:6. This week, he discussed the title "Mighty King," detailing how Jesus is a powerful ruler who wants to make a change in your life. In the High School service, after a brief discussion of Bethlehem, we sang Christmas songs. Then Pastor Wes continued in his series on Romans, talking about Romans 2 where it talks about judging.

Woof! that's a lot of text. Anyhow, last night was the LMA Christmas, party, and it was a happy occasion filled with lots of food. Dressed in my finest (and only) suit, I saw friends that I hadn't seen in a while, and we all made merry, talked and laughed, and ate a lot of food. Near the end, awards were given to outstanding students, parents, and families, and we had a toy drive for Communities in Schools of Renton. Also, Mr. Driver gave a speech summarizing 2013 for the dojang, and I was asked to read my black belt paper to the attendees. Before that, however, I was asked to tell a joke, and I told them the joke about the mime in the gorilla suit. Everybody laughed (If you want to hear what the joke is, look my number up on Facebook, call me, and I'll tell you). Moreover, since my paper has been so well received, I have elected to post it both here and on Facebook within the week instead of just linking to it. I'm sure that you all will like it.

Today, my dear old dad and I went Christmas shopping after church. Of course, we already did a lot of Christmas shopping on Black Friday, so our Christmas shopping trip basically meant sitting around the print shop looking for good deals on Amazon. But nevertheless, I can't wait to receive all of the stuff and give my gifts to people! Yay! 

In other news, my dear Aunt Naomi and her daughter Noa came over for dinner. We ate tacos and we're planning on watching a Doctor Who? Christmas Special later this evening, as soon as I finish this blog post... Also, the latest episode of The Joker Blogs - Series 2: One Bad Day just got posted yesterday! Go check it out! It's awesome!

1 comment:

  1. It was a merry time at the LMA Christmas party and you did a fantastic job telling your joke and reading your paper,

    ReplyDelete