Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Bible Verse Sunday #59

Today on Bible Verse Sunday, we will examine Ecclesiastes 5:10:

"He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves wealth with his income; this also is vanity."

The ESV Study Bible has this to say about the verse:

"The Preacher observes the destructive nature of greed and concludes that contentment is a key characteristic of the godly life in this world (cf. Phil. 4:11; 1 Tim. 6:6, 8; Heb. 13:5)."

In church today, the pastor in the main service continued his series in the book of Matthew, detailing a few key points concerning Christian financial planning. Specifically, he said that we should "be a channel, not a consumer" and that we "cannot out-give God" and that "greed is the assumption that everything is for my consumption." Thusly, we should not set a minimum standard of giving, but a maximum standard. He also mentioned Type A people (likes budget and planning, lives for the future) and Type B people (likes freedom and spontaneity, lives for the present), and the conflict that might arise when an A marries a B.

In the High School service, the youth pastor continued in our study of the book of Romans, telling of how we should be dead to sin but alive to God in Jesus Christ our Lord. He also issued a general call to baptism upon belief. Before the High School service, I engaged in a Chess game with my buddy Casper, using the miniature pocket travel collapsible magnetic chess set that I got for Christmas. Unfortunately, we were unable to finish the game due to the table having to be put away at the end of the service. Perhaps if we play again, we will photograph the board before packing up, so that we can resume the game the week after that.

After church, we went home, where I finished up some homework, before we all went over to my grandparents' apartment to watch the Seahawks game. I tell you, it was a thrill-a-minute, edge-of-your-seat spectacle which got me cheering and fist pumping with the best of them. I am greatly looking forward to the Superbowl, and I'm glad to say that I'll be rooting for my home team all the way there. Look out, Broncos! The Hawks are on their way!

No comments:

Post a Comment