Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Day 2014

And here... we... go.

New Year's Day is often seen as little more than a curiosity among holidays. It's a day off, but little more than that, due to the majority of celebrations being held the night before, on New Year's Eve. But for me, New Year's Day is fast becoming an important holiday to me, chiefly because of a new tradition I have started with my buddy Caleb (the GM).

This New Year's Day is the second New Year's Day in a row in which Caleb and I have gotten together to watch a movie. Last year, we had a mind-numbing seven-and-a-half hour marathon of The Dark Knight Saga. This year, we settled for something far less headache inducing: we watched Empire of Dreams, a documentary on the making of the Star Wars original trilogy. This documentary was included with the original trilogy set released back in 2004, and is a monumental achievement in and of itself. It chronicles the background of the George Lucas and how he formulated the Star Wars saga, how the thing was brought to the big screen, and how it turned into what we know it as today. It was a wholly comprehensive look at the series. It'd have to be; it was about 2.5 hours long! It featured interviews with all sorts of people, everybody from George Lucas to Walter Cronkite to Warwick Davis. In short, it was a great documentary which Caleb and I both enjoyed. However, I will not be reviewing it, mainly because I did not take notes. However, I will be looking into re-watching (but not reviewing) the original trilogy bonus material and featurettes, as well as the stuff from the prequel trilogy in future years. Speaking of the future, Caleb and I are considering an original trilogy marathon next year, or a sequel trilogy marathon, or a Christopher Nolan movie marathon (excluding The Dark Knight Saga), or perhaps a The Hobbit marathon, maybe even a Lord of the Rings movie marathon. But we'll have plenty of time to think about that.

New Year's Day is also a time to consider New Year's Resolutions. I have several this year:

* Write a little bit every day.
* Exercise a little bit every day.
* Read (from a book) a little bit every day.
* Eat less junk food.
* Write more review posts (I seriously need to get caught up on my backlog).
* Witness more often.

For tips on making and fulfilling New Year's Resolutions if you are a Christian, please go here. Best of luck to all of you out there who have made new year's resolutions. If you haven't made a new year's resolution (you know who you are) I still wish you luck in all your enterprises this year. Once again, happy new year!

Other things of note that occurred today included dad taking me out driving. I worked on my turning and actually drove around on the open road for a little while. It was ideal driving weather, to say the least. I do  hope that I'll be able to work up my confidence behind the wheel and become a veritable expert at this sort of thing.

Image courtesy of bluemountainvillage.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment