Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Bible Verse Sunday #50, Teagan McGinnis Memorial, and Black Belt Test Rehearsal

Golly, another week with less than three posts? This is not good. Especially since we're coming up on the one year anniversary of my blog's first post, which just so happens to fall on the Friday before Thanksgiving, the day in question being November 22nd. Anyhow, let's get to another special occasion; the fiftieth Bible Verse Sunday ever! Fifty! What a number! Today's verse is Habakkuk 2:12:

"'Woe to him who builds a town with blood and founds a city on iniquity!"

The ESV Study Bible has this to say on the verse:

"Woe. Babylon is condemned for its violence and injustice."

Today at church was International Missions Week, an event which spotlighted the various missionaries our church has fielded around the globe. We had guest speakers in both the main service and the High School service. The guest speaker in the main service was a guy from India who gave a sermon on how seemingly futile efforts at evangelizing can turn out to be of great significance. In the High School service, the guest speaker there was a local fellow from Union Gospel Mission, and he talked about that we as Christians should "See, feel, do." 

Also held in conjunction with International Missions Week in the High School service was a small memorial for one of our attendees, Teagan McGinnis. This celebrated young man tragically died in a car accident a few days ago, and is sorely missed by my fellow parishioners. I must confess that I did not know him, but I know people who were close to him. My prayers are with his friends and family. We take comfort in the knowledge that he was a God-fearing, godly fellow who is now home with the Lord.

In other news, today was the Black Belt Extravaganza VII... rehearsal. Though not terribly exciting, the people participating in that upcoming event (December 1st at 2:00 P.M. at the Carco Theatre), including yours truly, got together to work out the particulars of the event. We went about how we would assemble on stage, who would do what first and in what order, and such and such. There was a bit of fumbling and bumbling, but we managed to get it all together, though we'll be having a few more rehearsals to perfect it. I decided on what board break I'll be doing (I'm testing for 2nd Degree Black Belt, and I also had to write a paper on what it means to be a black belt), and I hope that I'll be able to pull it off spectacularly. I'm no Michael Tzeng, but I'm sure I'm capable of performing the move that I've selected.

No comments:

Post a Comment