Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

(Very Belated) Bible Verse Sunday #49, (Very Belated) Veterans Day, and the Mini-Vacation

Phew, another week with less than three posts? This is turning into an epidemic. With luck, I'll the next post up on Saturday. But anyhow, here is last Sunday's Bible verse, Luke 10:27:

"And he answered, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.'"

The ESV Study Bible has this to say about the verse:

"To love the Lord your God involves having faith in him and also delighting in him above all else. All the synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke) include the words heart (emotions, will, and deepest convictions), soul (the immaterial part of a person's being), and mind (reason; however, this term is lacking in Deut. 6:5). Matthew (22:37) alone lacks the term strength (how a person uses the abilities and powers that he has), an indication of the total devotion of one's entire being that is required. (See notes on Matt. 22:37-38 and Mark 12:28-31.)

As I was out of town on Sunday, I will not able to re-cap the sermons at church. There will be a re-cap next week.

Yesterday, November 11th, was Veteran's Day, a holiday celebrating veterans. It was first known as Armistice Day, established after the conclusion of World War 1, and was centered around the number eleven (eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month) to commemorate when the armistice was signed. During the Vietnam War in the 1970s, it was retooled as Veterans Day, as we know it today, and was signed into federal law as a national holiday, which is why I had the day off from Bellevue College yesterday. I didn't do anything in particular for Veteran's Day other than this woefully belated post and something else which I'll get to in the next paragraph. I did wish my father a happy birthday, as he used to be in the Navy, but next year I think a family dinner is order, what with his father, my grandfather, also being in the military. 

For the weekend, my buddy Nate (the one who thinks that Superman: The Movie is the greatest superhero film ever made) invited me to tag along with his family and some other friends on a sort of mini-vacation. We went to this rental house community down by the ocean and hung out for the weekend. We watched some movies, played games (I brought chess; Nate brought Risk), roasted marshmallows over a fire, and celebrated Nate's brother's birthday. We had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment