Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Bible Verse Sunday #35 & Vacation 2013 - Begins

Today's verse is Philippians 4:13, courtesy biblegateway.com. I will be unable to provide commentary for the verse due to me and my prized ESV Study Bible being separated by a vast distance (more on that after the verse), but I believe the verse is pretty self explanatory. So, the verse:

"I can do all things through him who strengthens me."

The "him" in this verse refers to Christ, through whom believers can achieve any feat blessed by him. If I find commentary in my study Bible on this verse, then I'll post it here.

EDIT: Here is what the ESV Study Bible has to say about this verse:

"The secret of living amid life's difficulties is simple: trusting God in such a way that one can say, I can do all things through him who strengthens me. This does not mean God will bless whatever a person does; it must be read within the context of the letter, with its emphasis on obedience to God and service to God and others."
 
In church today, the youth pastor from the High School service spoke in the main service, talking about how we should live with humility, commit to gentleness, be patient, display love, and work hard at spiritual unity. In the High School service, the guest pastor talked about how God has chosen us believers to be his messengers, and how we can't keep waiting for the perfect moment to spread his message. I'm sure there were a lot more fine details, but my memory retention isn't the best. At any rate, he was a great preacher, and kept us captivated with a great story.

Now why, you may ask, am I without my precious ESV Study Bible? That would be because I'm a long ways away from my house where that Bible as at, for I am on vacation! Thus, this year's vacation has begun! And if you even think I will begin to reveal my exact whereabouts, you are sadly mistaken, to say the least. I will divulge the fact that we are at a beach front hotel. We drove a few hours to get here, but when we arrived, I was pleasantly surprised. Also, I got some reading in during the trip, finishing The Long Walk and the first chapter of The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Mafia (Second Edition), the former of which I will definitely be reviewing, and the latter, maybe. Anyhow, the town we're in is so far your average small town tourist trap. We've encountered some fairly high priced meals and less-than-first-rate restaurants. But who knows? Maybe in my time here I'll grow to like it. There's also a lovely view of the ocean, and I still have to check out the beach. And the pool. Yeah.

Also, you may be thinking, "But you're going to miss your RPG group meeting!" Ah, but I have a plan for that. I'll be using Skype to play at the session remotely! I have everything I need for it, having supplied the GM with the miniatures. It will be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment